Friday, September 7, 2012

Rail Whales Part 1 - Giant Tank Cars

My friend MIke Palmieri (formerly of New Orleans) used to host a web site called "Rail Whales" that hosted pics of giant tank cars, depressed-center flat cars, and other huge rail cars. In fact, some of the pics below were photos I shared with him for his site. 

Most of the 6- and 8-axle large-capacity tank cars of the 1960s have either been scrapped or are due for scrapping. I was lucky enough to see a lot of them passing through New Orleans on their way to/from the Louisiana/Texas chemical coast. They were typically filled with really nasty chemicals


DUPX #29648 6-axle tetrahydrofuran tank car at Jourdan Road in CSX Gentilly Yard NOLA 01-2001


DUPX #29702 8-axle ethylene glycol tank car westbound from CSX Gentilly Yard at Jourdan Road NOLA 09-05-1995



DUPX #29706 8-axle Ethylene Glycol tank car westbound in SP train on NS along Florida Avenue NOLA 09-1995




DUPX #29728 Ethylene Glycol 8-axle tank car at Elaine Avenue in CSX Gentilly Yard NOLA 2000



DUPX #29738 westbound ethylene glycol 8-axle tank car crossing Old Gentilly Road east of CSX Gentilly Yard NOLA 04-02-1995


DUPX #29745 Ethylene Glycol 8-Axle Tank Car NOPB France Road Yard 1997


DUPX #29769 Ethylene Glycol 8-Axle Tank Car NOPB France Road Yard 1997


DUPX #12402 Ethylene Glycol tank car at Elaine Avenue in CSX Gentilly Yard NOLA 2 02-04-1996

3 comments:

  1. Find looking tanker. I have not
    seen one in my yard yet. I hope I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd LOVE to find pics of these whales of the end platforms as I'm making a model of one of them, (or more) considering the parts I have to use in-hand. -Got the tank body nearly ready for detail right now and enough parts of one tank to begin a second one!!!!!

    Anyone that has pics or knows where I can get some info on the end platforms be sure to send me a message! Thanks ~Hemi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've built seven whales, three six axles and four eight axles! Patrick will verify!

    Bobby Pitts

    ReplyDelete